The English Department at Geraldton Senior High School strives to create an environment that promotes critical thinking through the exploration of written, aural and visual works from a range of sources – in print and online. We do this through:
- Exploring traditional literature
- Unpacking the information world through contemporary literacy
- Identifying the nuances of language and how that shapes society’s attitudes and values
- Understanding alternative perspectives, learning about and applying a range of reading practices
- Investigating the influence of the media and popular culture
- Developing awareness of the wider world and questioning the mass amount of information students are bombarded with
- Recognising how the spoken, written and visual language has the power to provoke and promote
- Identifying how what is read challenges or reinforces personal values
Complimentary to this is the use of ICT in the classroom where students create presentations, interpret and create content for social media such as blogging and the impact of online journalism.
From extension programs to awareness of employability skills to free tutoring before and after-school to exam-style assessments, students are exposed to activities that challenge and develop skills beyond core expectations. Our English area is an energetic environment where teachers set the tone and students embrace that enthusiasm to generate a community of learning. Encouragement and support for all students is at the heart of this model, including those who would like to pursue their personal goals.
Our range of courses is available through our curriculum handbook and, while the study of English may be mandatory, you will most certainly find the course that suits your academic pursuit.